If you did not see the movie yet, you can read my Mini-review of Cloverfield(no spoiler).
Stop reading if you don't want to know about Cloverfield 2.
I now know I left too fast the theater because Jason gave more information today on his blog: “Cloverfield” End Credit Static Revealed. I was thinking of doing this post anyway and this will give me more ideals.
The movie ended without giving us any answers about the monster.
- Is it a genetic mutation?
- Does it come from space?
- Does it have a mate or any more?
- We know they did not use a nuclear bomb because the tape would be erased from the Electromagnetic Pulse(EMP). What did they used and did it killed it or just wound it?
One of thing that I did like was the parasites angle but it was not featured enough. It's the same questions like above.
- Did the whale in the picture on Jason Blog's bitten by one parasite or is it a piece of the monster?
- When they exploded, what came out? Another parasite killing the host or was it the poison that finaly reacted.
- How many are still in the subway system?
Possible stories for Cloverfield 2
In could be more action oriented with no or less over the shoulder shooting. The video/audio feed could come from a soldier's helmet.
Those are not original ideals and are often seen in other sequels. Hollywood being safe with sequels, they could go in those directions:
- Soldier's must combat many monsters because the first one was just a baby. Many cities around the world are attacked. We discover that Iran was attacked at the same time as New-York. Iranian and American special forces must work together to eliminate the threat.
- Soldier's must find the origin of the monster and destroy the nest. Mostly American centric.
- Soldier's must cleanup the subway but part of it collapse and they must go to next secured station. Parasites would be the enemy with a few new mutation. Seen any rats lately? That's a good direct to Blu-Ray.
- A parallel story line to the first movie but from the point of view of a soldier.
Those are 4 possible stories.
Some think it's a box office blockbuster with 40M on the first weekend. Yes, Cloverfield is a profitable movie but does it really deserve it at this time or even doing a petition for sequel? Let's see how it does on the next weekend.
The current budget was 25 millions and making a sequel would mean a bigger budget. But to attract more people and not just fans, Will Smith must be in it. Hey! I liked him in Independence Day. :D
Again, they need to make the story interesting and not play safe!
P.S. I know, it's a Paramount movie and went to see it anyway despite my boycott. I said it was partial and not full. What can I say? it's one of the rare movie I wanted to see and it was available in English. Also, I did not noticed it was made by Paramount. My bad :p By the time it comes on DVD or HD, Paramount will release Cloverfield in Blu-Ray. ;)
Keywords: Business, Entertainment, Movie